Friday 30 May 2014

Food Friday: Pineapple Cupcakes


I love cupcakes, and I love trying to play around with recipes. While I have been trying to cook a lot of healthy food lately, you have to have some cake once in a while! I have a go to cupcake recipe, which is basically just the below recipe, but using milk instead of pineapple, and adding vanilla paste after step 2. It's so good I have it memorised, and I love to customise it by adding things like peanut butter, cocoa, different flavoured essences (like mint or coconut). This time I wanted to try making pineapple cupcakes, because I've been dreaming of a tropical holiday!





Pineapple Cupcakes (makes 12)

You'll need...
125g butter (room temp)
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs (room temp)
1 1/2 cups self raising flour (or use plain and add 3 tsp baking powder)
1/2 cup pineapple juice (I used wizzed up pineapple)
Dash of milk

How to...
Step 1 // Preheat your oven to 180˚c (gas - non fan forced, adjust depending on what oven you're using), line a 12 muffin tray with patty pans.
Step 2 // Beat the butter until it light and fluffy, then add sugar gradually and beat until well combined
Step 3 // Beat in eggs once at a time - you need to use room temperature eggs otherwise the butter cools down and doesn't beat in well.
Step 4 // Sift the flour twice, then add half and all of the pineapple juice, folding in gently. Add the rest, and if it's still too dry add a splash of milk, about a tablespoon at a time - If you mix too much in this step, your cupcakes wont be light and fluffy, they'll become too dense
Step 5 // Divide mixture into patty pans, and bake for about 20 minutes (I would recommend checking after 15 minutes, as ovens tend to vary a lot).

I found these crumbled a lot, so be careful when removing them from the muffin tray. I would wait until they've cooled down a lot, and use a knife to lift them out.


I made an icing using sour cream, sugar and shredded coconut. It wasn't that nice, and I would definitely just use a buttercream icing next time instead.

What are your favourite cupcake flavours? Is there any recipes you'd like me to write about?

No comments:

Post a Comment