Wednesday 21 May 2014

The tale of 3 lipsticks: 3 Rimmel formulas.

As much as I love Rimmel, they're a brand I often pass by. Sure I hopped on the wagon for some of their releases (Apocalips!) but for some reason, even though I love the products of theirs I own, I hardly buy their products. But I do own 3 of their lipsticks. One Lasting Finish by Kate Moss in 20, one Moisture Renew lipstick in 380 - Dark Night Waterl-Oops! and most recently, Lasting Finish Matte by Kate Moss in 101. Rimmel are a brand with several different formulas, and I know choosing one can be pretty tricky, so I thought I'd compare them to help choosing a little easier.


Lasting Finish by Kate Moss in 20.
I won this, a long time ago. It's a beautiful bright pink, perfect for a night out, or to brighten up a dull day. I love the sleek packaging of this formula, especially the pink Kate signature.
As far as the formula goes, it's great. It's creamy and applies smoothly. It's long lasting, can last around 5 hours without eating, and even after eating it leaves a stain.
I would probably get more colours in this formula.


Moisture Renew in 380 - Dark Night Waterl-Oops!
This is their most recent lip formula. I love how they named these, especially seeing as I spent a lot of time in London, so they really appealed to me. There was also a lot of hype in the UK over the re-release of these. I had to go with a dark purple, as it was winter when I bought it. The packaging really doesn't stand out to me. I prefer my lipsticks in a sleek round container, not square and chunky.
I'm not totally sold on this formula. I've only worn it twice, even though I love the colour, because it's hard to apply. I'm sure this is 100% because it's a dark shade though. It does apply smoothly though so I guess a lighter shade would be easier. It is hydrating and glossy without being sticky, and it's super pigmented. But it transfers! It never really sets, and I wore this on a trip to London, when I got off the 3 hour bus ride and put my coat on I got a big purple stain.
I'm not sure I'd try other shades, but there are some pretty colours (and names! I love London, so the shades with London places in the name grab my attention).

Lasting Finish Matte by Kate Moss in 101 
This is my newest addition and could be my favourite! This is a beautiful nudey pink my lips but better shade. It's not totally matte, but still a lovely formula. It's creamy and doesn't cling to dry patches. It doesn't work well if you apply it over a lipgloss though.
This is surprisingly long lasting too! It stayed on for 5 hours of a shift, including when I drank my coffee. I'm really pleased considering it's such a light colour, and would love to get more of this formula!

Swatches with flash: (l-r) 20, Dark Night Waterl-Oops!, 101.

Swatch in natural light.

Swatch in sunlight.

Dupes? Swatches in sunlight (l-r) Dark Night Waterl-Oops, Mac Rebel (light shade, much better formula!!!) 10, Covergirl ___ (these are basically exactly the same) 101, Mac Angel (a little lighter and more peachy, more of a shine and a little less pigmented).



 Do you own and love any Rimmel lipsticks? What's your favourite drugstore lipstick formula?

No comments:

Post a Comment