Friday 17 February 2012

Vegetable Patch

After watching an episode of Jamie at home *swoon*, I got super inspired to grow my own vegetables. It is really surprising how you can get a beautiful garden and have almost all of it edible! I'm talking edible flowers, lots of different herbs and lots of lettuce! He seemed to have herbs and lettuce all over the place... in the ground, in pot plants on shelves. So beautiful. It's hard not to get too excited - I don't have lots of money to pay people to do it for me (not that I really know, but I feel that Jamie would have done most of it himself, the actual planting and care anyway) and getting it looking anywhere near as good as his will take a LOT of effort.

Last night the boy and I went to bunnings to buy some vegetables for him. He's got a polystyrene box that he's using to grow herbs and veggies on his balcony. I saw quite a few things I want to get there... rocket, garlic chives, bok choy, carrots and so many other things.

Today I got home from work and mum had started weeding next to her temporary tomato filled garden bed. She'd also bought 2 large wooden planter boxes to make some raised garden beds, and seeds like carrots, radishes, snow peas, sweet peas and petunias. So I went outside and helped her weed. Basically the weeds had grown so it looked like we had lawn... it took a while to get rid of them all from the area we wanted to use. Then we put down paper, put the boxes where we wanted them and covered the rest with gravel.

This is what it looks like now, you can see next to the gravel how bad the weeds were!


Tomorrow I'm going to bunnings to get some lettuce and also some flowers to put in the garden bed outside my window.

No comments:

Post a Comment